Friday, September 23, 2011

after the fire, bedroom redo

While we were living in the apartment, My girls (ages 16 and 12) had to share a room, so after the fire and buying a new house, we realized my middle child had no bedroom furniture at all. They were sharing my oldest girls bed, dresser, night stands, etc. I was actually quite excited to decorate a room from scratch. After getting her a new (cheap) bed frame, mattress, box spring and shelf, I was ready to get started. We set up the bed and shelf, bought new bedding and I had my color scheme laid out.

My daughter had went to tutoring all summer and at the beginning of the school year her wonderful teacher let her pick out a beautiful, soft , silk type rug from the Rug Gallery. Ive been told this runs about 100 dollars and I believe it is worth every penny , and am extremely grateful that we got this for free! I just love how it matches her room and it feels so amazing!!


Next up was curtains. I actually just found an old white lace see through curtain in one of our boxes still unpacked, and since her room already had blinds I thought it perfect. It matched her room , was girly and looks beautiful. I had some tissue paper left over from a Valentines day gift and it matched her bedding perfectly, so I just used a small finishing nail to nail it to the wall with some ribbon and it works perfectly as a curtain holder, adorable!!! (tissue paper flower was made by folding several sheets of tissue paper accordion style, wrapping a small piece of ribbon around the middle and fluffed it up =)


Next up, We realized she had no dresser (uh oh) . We had a very old, wooden one that had been in our room but we did not use as it was so small and really needed cleaned up. I pulled off all the knobs, lightly sanded it and sprayed the dresser part with krylons high gloss white spray paint (3 dollars a can at walmart) . To match her room, I painted the dresser drawers a glossy red . The picture shows it a bit lighter than it is but it turned out so gorgeous I thought. It needs some updated knobs since I lost a few and I don't really care for the gold tarnished look but it will do until I make another trip to the store.



Then just a few wall decorations. The first one is just cd jewel cases. I printed out the letters, stuck them in the cd case and used some double sided sticky tape to hang them to the wall.




This banner was just a quick easy way too add some fun to her walls. Cardstock paper cut out in pendant shape, red circles cut out with fun shaped scissors and I just used some stencils to trace the letters on white card stock. Punched holes in each one , ran some twine through it and there ya go! All that is left in her room now is to paint and finish up her nook I am working on (that will be another blog)

No comments:

Post a Comment